Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Night I Faced One Of My Inner Demons...Literally

As a child I was a very sweet and sensitive boy. I was very tenderhearted and very quiet at times. I always preferred to play alone in solitude rather than in a group and I preferred artistic pursuits over the rough and tumble ways of athletics. Consequently, I was very imaginative and very creative. I was drawn to things that personified my creativity.


Sometimes, this interest manifested itself in very dark ways. Halloween was one of my most favorite times of the year. I loved going to the stores and seeing all the masks that were on display. I could only dream of owning one of those hideous rubber monstrosities because, even then, they were quite expensive. I loved the whole concept of dressing up for Halloween. Later, when I was in Chattanooga, I would participate in two really large haunted houses that drew people for miles around. It was such fun!

Years earlier I would watch Movie Macabre with Elvira Mistress of the Dark. I always loved those bizarre European vampire and werewolf movies Elvira had on that show. Of course I will never forget the Steven King thriller Salem's Lot where the vampires were your friends, family, and neighbors who all knew your name. One could even call my interest in the darker side of pop culture as unhealthy and even morbid.
Not surprisingly I used to have this recurring dream which lasted for quite a few years. I would be running down a hallway of a giant castle or even a school because I just knew I was being chased by a terrible monster. It was a creature that I dared not look at lest I be utterly paralyzed with sheer terror. I could hear it getting closer and closer and no matter how fast I ran the sound of it's low, hollow, groaning howl grew even closer and closer. Finally, when it was almost upon me I would turn and look. Then, I would bolt awake. Ahhhahaah!! My room would be quiet as a tomb with only the soft sound of the clock on my wall. Tick, tick, tickety, tock.

Sometimes, in my dream, I would look and actually catch a glimpse of this hideous creature. It was very human in form but almost like a three dimensional shadow and I could barely make out two beady eyes where it's head should have been. The sound of it's awful howl was almost deafening as it walked slowly towards me with it's form jiggling inconsistently with every step. As it's heavily pixilated shape lumbered even closer I could almost see what looked like static electricity pulsating throughout it's abominable shady silhouette. Then, that terrifying howl, "Whhoooooooowwooooooooooohoooooowwwww"!!

One time in particular I jolted awake as I normally did. However, this time I could still hear a loud roaring sound. I slapped my hands over my ears so hard I hurt my ears. When I naturally let go of my ears because of the pain I realized the loud sound was actually that of a train engine not far away. I breathed a huge sigh of relief. I eventually drifted back to sleep to the faint sound of tick, tick, tickety, tock.

But as the years went by the nightmares I had of this hideous demon from the netherworld became more and more infrequent. And one day they were gone forever. Call it age, maturity, or some really good antidepressants. For whatever reason the dreams ceased. Then came that fateful night when I would once again meet up with the tormentor and invader of many childhood dreams. This time, I would be wide awake!

Typical scenario right? I just got off of a long day at work and just got home from another part time job at night. I was exhausted and sitting in my huge chair just chilling and feeling fresh and clean from a recent shower. Ahhh, the smell of dial soap, aftershave, and the feeling of the air conditioner on full blast.

Well, a night like this  isn't complete without a huge glass of icy Diet Coke and a large bowl of ice cream. Any kind will do. Oh yes, and the remote controller. So, I am flipping through all the channels so I can try to find something worth watching. I finally come to the Sci-Fi channel which so happened to be playing some old black and white reruns of the show The Outer Limits. I always loved this show as a kid. I loved Classic Star Trek as well.

Something suddenly grabbed my attention however. I noticed that I quickly recognized one of the leading actors. I had seen him in Star Trek in one of my favorite episodes there too. I had always heard that the writers of Star Trek also wrote for The Outer Limits so it took me no time at all to assume there was a connection. The actor was Michael Forest. He played the role of the Greek god Apollo in the 1967 Star Trek Episode, "Who mourns for Adonais". I still think these kind of connections are really cool so I thought I would enjoy my ice cream and be entertained.

Anyway, I keep watching and this particular episode is about a scientific institute with a small nuclear reactor that is used to try to harness the electromagnetic currents in the atmosphere. Well, a cleaning lady somehow gets vacuum cleaner dust in the chamber of this reactor and it creates this dangerous intelligence that wreaks havoc throughout the show even killing off some of the actors. Yes, even the charachter played by the illustrious Michael Forest died a horrible death.

Anyway, back to the main point. When this monster was first created it made a hollow low howling noise that nearly sent chills down my spine. THAT is the same noise I used to hear in my dreams as a child and now, that I got a good look at this electromagnetic diablo from atomic hell, I realized that THAT was the monster I saw in my dreams! UNBELIEVABLE! I literally glared at the screen in utter shock. It was like I had almost seen a ghost but on television.

For years I thought that the dreams I had as a kid were part of my own disturbed psyche playing tricks on my subconscious mind while I slept. No, not at all. Apparently the source of all those terrible dreams were right out of the fertile imagination of a Hollywood screenwriter! That creature didn't come from hell! It came from a typewriter!! I just sat there laughing quietly to myself. Apparently I had seen this episode when I was very small and it traumatized me so bad it gave me nightmares for years! Maybe I should sue? I'm sure I could find some parasite trial lawyer who could use the money. Well, I doubt I could afford the retainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment